The biggest threat to your home’s crawl space is moisture. Austin, San Antonio, and surrounding areas experience moderate humidity throughout the year. This humid air seeps its way into your crawl space and causes hazardous problem signs to arise. Our team at FSS employs interior waterproofing to ensure that your crawl space stays completely dry, not matter how humid or wet it gets outside.
How Interior Waterproofing Works
- Inspect the Crawl Space: First, one of our specialists will arrive at your home and provide a free inspection. This will help determine the actual cause of moisture problems. Once identified, we create a plan of action with you and determine the most effective interior waterproofing solutions that will work nest for your specific situation and your crawl space.
- Install the Solutions: Next, the determined solutions will be installed in your crawl space. Generally, our team recommends full crawl space encapsulation – a process that protects your crawl space from all forms of moisture. Depending on certain factors, our team will install a vapor barrier, dehumidifier, crawl space vent covers, and internal drainage systems. When working in tandem, these solutions make it virtually impossible for moisture (whether from rain, humidity, or flooding) to get into your crawl space.
- Reap the Benefits: Finally, once all of the solutions are installed, your crawl space begins to experience the benefits immediately. Rain will no longer be able to drain into the soil under your crawl space as it is whisked away by our drainage system. Humidity won’t be strong enough to penetrate the vapor barrier in your crawl space or avoid being sucked up by our dehumidifier. Leaks or flooding from appliances in your home won’t affect wooden structures or cause mold growth either. Your home becomes safer and more secure thanks to interior waterproofing.
Why Does Our Interior Waterproofing Stand Out?
- Over 50% of the air in your home comes from your crawl space, and our interior waterproofing makes the air much safer to breathe.
- Interior waterproofing helps with pest control because it takes away humidity in your crawl space – something many insects and other pests thrive in.
- Ultimately, interior waterproofing solutions lower your energy bills. Humidity can no longer rise into your home and force your HVAC system to work on overdrive.
Signs Your Home Needs Interior Waterproofing
When moisture gets into your crawl space, the water penetrates wooden structures called floor joists. These important structures hold up the floors in your home. When they become damaged by moisture, they can no longer support the weight of your floor. As a result, you’re left with sagging floors throughout your living space. This becomes a tripping hazard for anyone in your house and may lower the value of your property.
Mold thrives in dark, wet environments, which makes your crawl space the perfect breeding ground for these dangerous fungi. High humidity below your home is the prime culprit behind mold growth. Since most homeowners don’t travel into their crawl space regularly, this problem sign can be tricky to notice. Look out for musty odors in your home, or even mold growth that has spread into your living area. Preventing this problem sign with interior waterproofing is important because mold is hazardous to your health.
Wood rot is the force that causes sagging floors, but it also affects other wooden structures throughout your crawl space like support beams. Since your entire home is supported by the crawl space, wood rot damage can be particularly devastating because it breaks down the main structures holding up your house. Wood rot generally makes wood look cracked, decayed, and discolored. Interior waterproofing protects against all of these symptoms.
None. Having any mold in your crawl space becomes a major health hazard to anyone living in your home. Even the smallest amount of mold releases spores into the air, which are eventually carried into your living space through a process known as the Stack Effect. Once these spores are released, mold can begin to grow exponentially if no steps are taken to protect your crawl space. Long story short, any amount of mold in your crawl space is a bad thing.
Modern vapor barriers are usually made with polyethylene sheeting, a durable material that is impenetrable by moisture. Generally, this is the best material for a vapor barrier. Using other materials is often why other vapor barriers fail. You might see other vapor barriers made with elastomers, metallized film, or even metal sheets. Most contractors accept that polyethylene is the superior material.
Yes. Interior Waterproofing ends up saving you hundreds of thousands of dollars in a few different ways. First of all, it prevents water damage from ruining the structural integrity of your home. With interior waterproofing, you avoid major repair fees and can feel confident that your crawl space is permanently protected. Additionally, crawl space encapsulation also makes your home more energy efficient by controlling humidity levels. In turn, your energy bills are lowered.
Call FSS for Your Interior Waterproofing
Residents of Austin, San Antonio, and surrounding areas continue to choose Foundation Support Specialists when they need help with foundation and waterproofing problems. Our highly experienced team members communicate effectively with you to ensure that our interior waterproofing solutions makes sense to you and that they will work in the long term. In addition, customers choose FSS because:
- We use products made in the USA.
- We are a locally owned family business.
- Our team members have over 20 years of experience in the business.
- We offer flexible, affordable financing options if necessary.
To learn more about our company, or to schedule a free crawl space inspection, contact FSS today!